Tuesday 17 November 2009

The Life of a Migratory Bird


Following the success of my previous mission to bring joy to the peoples of the world by travelling amongst them and imparting wisdom, I am now embarked on a new quest: to emulate as closely as possible the life of a migratory bird. To that end I spent a few months summering in England at sites familiar to me from my fledgling days and then, with the onset of autumn, I took flight once more, bound for warmer climes.

On such a long journey migratory birds may break the journey at familiar sites along the route. This seemed a sensible policy to me also, so the first leg of my journey was England to Boston. There I was made very welcome by my cousin, family and friends and passed a very pleasant week enjoying New England in the fall.

And thankful I was for some succour along the way as, in common with so many species in these changing times, the way of life of the migratory bird is threatened by changes to habitat and climate. I mean fifty dollars to check two bags? Five dollars for an in-flight beer? Compared to that the problems facing the white rhino or the giant panda are a walk in the safari park. I managed to blag my way out of the former levy, but the latter I just had to swallow, repeatedly.

But it would be a short-sighted bird indeed that escaped the English winter only to replace it with the even harsher conditions of the Northern US so, after my rest stop, I took flight once more and headed for my winter flying ground in Eastern Colombia. And here I am still, enjoying the payback of the stressful migration in the form of warm weather, nice flying conditions and friendly locals.

My main problem, apart from the fact that a power cut killed the stereo, is that I have arrived here a monoglot in a polyglot environment. I am in the process of changing this and have made some progress to the extent that I managed to crack a joke in Spanish the other day, sadly I can't help but feel that I've also been the butt of far more than I realise. So, with that in mind and as it's a cloudy morning, I'm off to conjugate some verbs.

Chao

Don Simon.

P.E. Como siempre, fotos en www.don-simon.smugmug.com

1 comment:

  1. Hola chico!
    Tu primer chiste en español, hehe, progresas mucho! ;-) Estas todavía en Bucaramanga? Estamos en Cartagena, una ciudad maravillosa, pero tan caliente que tomamos como 4 duchas por día... cuando hay nubes! Hum hum... Estamos organisando la continuación de nuestro viaje hasta Mexico y no es facil porque tenemos por lo menos 3 opciones. Avion directo, barco hasta Panama o navigar primero hasta Cuba y despues Mexico, pfff eligir es dificil, que pesada la vida viajando! ;-)
    Si estas en Buca, puedes mandar nuestros saludos a Willy, y por supuesto a los chulos que extrañamos mucho?... nooooo tu tambien te extrañamos!!! ;-p
    Mucha suerte chico y que disfruta de la vida en el cielo!
    Céline & Yannick

    ReplyDelete